Yield: 4 servings (roughly 1 cup each)
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 min.
Dose: 10 mg each, 40 mg total
Recommended: Tincture OR Syringe
- Brussels Sprouts, whole – 1 pound
- Bacon, thick cut – 8 oz
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) — 1 Tbsp
- Garlic, minced — 3 cloves
- Shallots, minced — 1 oz
- Parmigiano Reggiano — grated 2 fl oz or about ¼ cup
- Mozzarella cheese, low moisture — ½ cup
- Heavy cream — ¼ cup
- Salt, kosher — ½ cup
- Sugar, granulated — 1 cup
- Water, for brine — 6 cups
- Balsamic Vinegar — 1 cup
- Cast iron pan and towel (OR oven mitts)
- Kitchen spoon
- Slotted spoon
- Knife & cutting board
- Large bowl or quart-sized containers
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. While it heats up, prep the rest of your ingredients:
- Brussels sprouts: wash and cut in half, removing each root.
- Bacon: cut into thick strips and refrigerate until it’s time to cook.
- Garlic & Shallots: peel and mince as small as possible.
- Heavy cream: gently warm in the microwave and infuse using a syringe distillate OR tincture.
- If using a syringe, add 0.05 mL OR roughly 1 rice grain-sized dot of concentrate (~50 mg total). Stir it into the heavy cream, making sure it dissolves fully.
- If using drops, add 1 ml of the concentrated tincture (1 full dropper = 40 mg total) OR 2 mL of the Red Line tincture directly into the cream and mix it well.
- Mix the water, sugar, salt, and balsamic vinegar in a large mixing bowl. Make sure the sugar and salt dissolve completely, then add your Brussels sprouts to the brine. Make sure they are entirely covered in the brine.
- Leave the Brussels sprouts to brine in the fridge. After 1 hour, drain the brine and pat the Brussels sprouts dry. This will give them fantastic flavor.
- While the Brussels sprouts are brining, cook the bacon in a cast-iron pan. Once the bacon is crispy, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon bits, place them on a clean plate, and drain the excess bacon fat into a small bowl. Let this cool down before you toss it!
- With the remaining bacon fat coating the cast iron pan, briefly cook the minced garlic and shallots until slightly translucent and remove from the heat. Carefully place the Brussels sprouts in the pan (flat side facing down).
- Place the cast iron pan in the oven and cook the Brussels sprouts for 15-20 min, or until they are tender enough to poke with a fork.
- Pull the cast iron pan out of the oven and set your oven to broil at 425°F.
- While the oven heats up, add the infused heavy cream, mozzarella, Parmigiano cheese, and bacon to the Brussels sprouts. Mix everything together gently, then place the cast iron back in the oven for another 5-10 min so the cheese can melt.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the oven, so the cheese does not burn. Once the cheese is bubbling, it’s time to come out!
Now you’re ready to eat!